Facial Plastic Surgery
Dr. David Alessi is the founder and medical director of the Alessi Institute for Facial Plastic Surgery. He is double board certified being certified by both The American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and The American Board of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery. Dr. Alessi’s experience, training, artistic hands and his desire to help people feel their best has resulted in thousands of patients choosing Alessi Institute for facial rejuvenation. He is widely respected with many patients traveling from abroad to seek his facial plastic surgery expertise. Dr. Alessi delivers the most natural-looking results through a variety of trademarked techniques and procedures he personally developed to reduce visible scarring and extensive recovery times for
his patients. Dr. Alessi is also an expert facial plastic surgeon on RealSelf.
Michigan State University, 9/75 to 3/79, B.S. Biochemistry and Honors College
Wayne State University, 6/79 to 3/82, Pharmacology Department, (Ph.D. Candidate)
Wayne State University Medical School, 8/82 to 6/83, M.D.
Internship, Surgical, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, 6/83 to 6/84
Residency, Surgical, U.C.L.A. School of Medicine, 6/84 to 6/85
Resident, Head and Neck Surgery, U.C.L.A. School of Medicine, 7/84 to 6/88
Resident, Otolaryngology, Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles, 11/86 to 12/86
Chief Resident, Head and Neck Surgery, U.C.L.A. School of Medicine, 7/88 to 6/89
State of California – 1984
Diplomat, American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Diplomat, National Board of Medical Examiners
Diplomat, American Board of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery
Diplomat, American Board of Forensic Examiners
Diplomat, National Board of Medicine
Attending, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA
Attending, Saint Vincent’s Hospital, Los Angeles, CA
• Chief, Division of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Cedar-Sinai Medical Center,
Los Angeles, CA 2000-2004
• Assistant Clinical Professor, Division of Head and Neck Surgery, Department of Surgery, UCLA
• Adjunct Professor, Department of Communication Disorders, California State University of Los Angeles
• “Guide to America’s Top Physicians.” by the Consumer’s Research Council of America. 2003
• Selected one of the nations “Top Doctors” by Top Doctors in America 2002
• Distinguished Service Award, American Academy of Otolaryngology
• Heritage Who’s Who 2000-2008
• Distinction for Biomedical Research, Deans Award for excellence in research and scholarly activities
• Juvenile Diabetes Foundation Award for selection to and participation in Medical Students Workshop, Chicago, Illinois
• Weil Award for best clinical investigation paper at the American Association of Neuropathologists meetings
• Awarded Magna Cum Laude, Michigan State University 1979.
• Graduate of Honors College and Lyman Briggs College, Michigan State University 1979
• Phi Kappa Phi Honors Fraternity 1979
MEMBERSHIPS & ASSOCIATIONS
Fellow, American College of Forensic Examiners
Fellow, American College of Surgeons
2003-2004 and 1999-2001 Medical Executive Committee, Cedar-Sinai Medical Center
1999-2000 Member, Quality Improvement Committee Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
1997-Active Member in the Los Angeles Surgical Society
1999- Charter Member of the California Society of Facial Plastic Surgery
1997 Committee on Quality Assurance, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
1992- Member, Bioethics Committee, Los Angeles County Medical Association
1992-1995 Member, SICU Joint Practice Committee, Cedars Sinai Medical Center
1991-1998 Senate Appointee, Speech Pathology and Audiology Examining Committee, Department of Consumer Affairs, CA
1991- Member, Southern California Academy of Oral Surgery and Oral Pathology
1991-1992 Member, Technical Advisory Committee, California Medical Association, Board of Trustee Appointee
1990 Member, Program Committee for the Martin Haet Lectureship
1989-1991 Commissioner, Senate Advisory Committee on Malpractice Insurance and Indemnity–California State Senate
1989- Member, American Academy of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery
1988- Member, American Society for Otolaryngologic Allergy
1985- Member, American Association of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
1984- Member California Medical Association
1984-1985 LACMA Committee on Professional Liability
1983- Member Los Angeles County Medical Association
1980- Member of the American Medical Association (AMA)
1980-1983 Member of Phi Beta Pi Medical Fraternity
Developer of many facial plastic trademarked procedures.
Inventor and holder of two (2) surgical patents for surgical instruments.
• Immunobiology of Squamous Cell Carcinoma,
Principle investigator: Robert Mickel, M.D., Ph.D., U.C.L.A.
Division of Head and Neck Surgery, 3/87-12/87
• Auditory Evoked Potential, Feline Investigators
Principle investigator: George Lynn, Ph.D., Department of Neurology,
Wayne State University, 3/83 to 6/83
• Caprice Neurovisceral Storage Disease,
Principle investigator: Margaret Jones, M.D., Department of Pathology,
Michigan State University, 1/709 to 6/79
• Brain hexokinase research for John Wilson, Ph.D., Department of Biochemistry,
Michigan State University, 3/78 to 3/79
• Chemistry and biology teaching assistant for Mimi Sayed, Ph.D.,
Lyman Briggs College, Michigan State University, 9/77 to 6/78
Author and co-author of more than 30 scientific publications and book chapters.
Alessi, D.M., Berci, G.: “Aspiration and Nasogastric Intubation”, Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, 94:486-489, 1986
Alessi, D., Trapp,, T., Berke, G., Hanson, D.: “An Accurate Method of Teflon Injection Using Functional Phonosurgery”, In press. , Transactions of the International Voice Symposium, Edinburgh Scotland, 1989
Alessi, D., Hanson, D., Berke, and G.: “An Assessment of Postintubation Laryngeal Trauma Using a Portable Videolaryngoscopy System”, Transactions of the International Voice Symposium, Edinburgh, Scotland, 1989
Andrews, J.C., Alessi, D., et.al.: “Parotitis and Facial Nerve Function”, Archives of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, 115:240-242, 1989
Alessi, D., Maceri, D.: “Histiocytosis X of the Head and Neck in a Pediatric Population”, Archives of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, 118:945-948, 1992
Teacher, lecturer and presenter at more than 400 medical seminars and annual meetings worldwide.
Alessi, D.: “Simultaneous Endoscopic Sinus Surgery and Rhinoplasty.” Advances in Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA Nov 3, 2007.
Alessi, D., Aronowitz, J., et.al.: “Face Lift as an Adjunct in the Surgical Treatment of
Partial and Complete Facial Palsy”. International Facial Nerve Symposium, San
Francisco, July, 2001.
Alessi, D.: “Medical Management of Professional Singers”, Panelist, Care of the Professional Voice Symposium, Philadelphia, PA, June 8, 1996.
Alessi, D.: “Treatment of Pediatric Dysphonia Secondary to Vocal Fold Paresis”, Instructor of course presented for the American Academy of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, Washington, D.C., September 30, 1996,
“Management of the Difficult Airway”, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center Resident Lecture Series, October 10, 1995.
“Common Otolaryngologic Problems”, Internal Medicine Lecture Series, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, February, 1992.
“Scar Revision”, Head and Neck Lectures Series, UCLA School of Medicine, November 6, 1991.
Alessi, D., Trapp, T., Fu, Y., Calcaterra, T.: “Sinonasal Adenocarcinoma”, Southern California Section of the American College of Surgeons, Newport Beach, January 1988.
Alessi, D., Trapp, T., Berke, G., Hanson, D.: “An Accurate Method of Teflon Injection Using Functional Phonosurgery”, International Voice Symposium, Edinburgh Scotland, 1987.
INVITED OR SPONSORED PRESENTATIONS
• “The Latest in Antimicrobial Therapy: Highlights from the New Treatment Guidelines.” GlaxoSmithKline,
Redondo Beach, Riverside, and Corona, CA.
• “Challenges and Change: Exploring Diagnostic Criteria and Treatment Approaches with Acute Sinusitis.”
The Center for Healthcare Education, LLC, Santa Monica, La Mesa and Los Angeles, CA.
• “Prescribing Decisions in Acute Otitis Media, CDC Guidelines and Resistant
Pneumococcus”. Glaxo Smith Kline-Long Beach, CA.
• “Intranasal Steroids for the Treatment of Rhinitis-Clinical Forum”. Glaxo Smith Kline-
November 6th, Los Angeles, CA.
• “Update on Sinusitis”. Lecturer for the San Diego Academy of Family Physician’s 44th
Annual Postgraduate Symposiums Family Medicine Update, San Diego, CA,.
• “Modern Management of Dysphagia”. Panel with Questions and Answers – Alessi.
Cedar’s-Sinai Medical Center-Los Angeles, CA.
• “Scar Revision”. Head and Neck Lecture Series at the UCLA School of Medicine.
PRESS AND MEDIA
• Larry King “Live”
• Montel Williams Show “Facing the Fight of her life” July, 24th 2002
• Discovery Health Channel
• ABC’s Downtown Prime Time.
• ABC’s 20/20
• CBS 2 News
• Ripley’s Believe it or Not television show
• Los Angeles Times Newspaper
• National Inquirer: “Actress Scarred in Car Wreck Gets New Face”
• Mademoiselle Magazine: “The Bicoastal Nose”,
• KNX Radio: Los Angeles — Interview “Rhinoplasties”,
• KACE Radio: Los Angeles, “Cosmetic Surgery”, Interview and Q & A call-in show.
• KCLX Radio: Los Angeles, Interview, “Snoring”
• KABC Radio: The Peter Tilden Show, Los Angeles, Interview, “Sleep Disorders”.
• Men’s Fitness Magazine: “The Hazards of Snoring”.
• Marie Claire Magazine
• Elle Magazine
Beverly Hills Times Magazine: Non Profit organization: Face Forward–Facial Reconstructive Surgery to
victims of crime and domestic violence
• Larchmont Chronicle: “Doctor Tells Methods of Treating Sleeping Disorders”.
• Larchmont Chronicle: “Plastic Surgeon Provides New Look for His Patients”.
Face Forward: Beverly Hills, CA
A non-profit organization dedicated to providing physical and emotional reconstruction to women and children who have been victimized by domestic or gang-related violence. Face Forward vows to provide each victim with the best possible treatment pro bono. Dr. Alessi dedicates his surgical skills to Face Forward’s cause and has profoundly changed the lives of many in need, enabling victims to put their best face forward toward recovery and a new beginning.